[Serusers] Multiplexing RTP streams

Noel Sharpe noels at radnetwork.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 11:30:03 CET 2005

Hi All

I was wondering if any thought (effort) has been given to trying to
combine multiple rtp streams  that are going to the same destination to
save on IP overhead from the many small packets.  I guess this would be
a use case for RTPProxy (or mediaproxy) or it could be implemented as an
application infront of rtpproxy.  I know a number of vendors of hardware
gateways (quintum/mediatrix) do this, and report massive savings (50% if
memory serves) of bandwidth.  I doubt very much that they use an open
standard, which means that integrating with these devices is
impractical.  To me it seems that this would be a very useful ability,
especially when you are sending all your calls to a single remote
gateway.  The remote gatway would have to have similar software to
de-multiplex the traffic on the other side, but if you had control of
both ends of an expensive link, this would be very useful.

Noel