[Users] PIC/SER PA presence module port?

Joachim Fabini Joachim.Fabini at tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 25 22:58:29 CET 2005

Hi,

> > Did anyone succeed (or, at least, try) to port the new SER
> > pa module
> > (Jamey Hicks' additions for PIC/SER trial) to openSER?
> > [...]
>
> the presence stuff will be approached in the future in
> OpenSER, too. I have seen a lot of changes and several modes
> of operating for the new PA in SER.

Hmmh, let's go a little bit into details: Are there plans to
port SER's pa module implementation or is there consensus to
implement something from the scratch?
I agree with you that after the PIC/SER trial there is a lot
of ongoing work concerning SER's pa module. What they still
did not address is the B2BUA issue (imho, please correct me
if I'm wrong) but they have many of the basic presence
features already working.

> Not sure yet what sip
> client can be used for testing, I have seen remarks only
> about eyebeam.

Eyebeam is afaik one of the more flexible ones, probably a
good choice. Supports both, peer-to-peer and server-based
presence, which should be sufficient to test most of the
possible scenarios.
Afaik the PIC/SER used it for their trial.

> Several days ago SER changed the indexing style for user
> location records, using now unique ids, otherwise the
> interfaces are still the same.

Just had a short look at the sources - it shows up that
having the SER pa module included into OpenSER is not
just a matter of replacing the pa module sources. The
SER pa developers moved some of the functionality
(like XCAP) into libraries positioned below the root
folder. The pa module depends on some of these library
headers. Unfortunately, even satisfying these
dependencies by copying the lib folder is not sufficient.
Beside some macros that can easily be copied or replaced,
the SER folks seem to have changed some core code (e.g
added new member sipifmatch to struct sip_msg). That's
developer list stuff, so I stopped here... ;)
My conclusion: it should be feasible to eliminate all
compiler errors an integrate the pa module with openser.
Before starting integration it's advisable to have core
programmer feedback on side effects of changing central
structs like sip_msg. And I do not see major sense in
doing this work before the new SER pa module is stable
(released).

Or, is someone already working on a new pa module
implementation for OpenSER?

best regards
--Joachim