[Serusers] G723.1 vs G729

Mohamed Omar amatek2004 at yahoo.ca
Fri May 27 18:47:19 CEST 2005

I use dialup connection with my IPPhones which has a buildin modem without any issue on both codec G723 and G729.  I sometime get better quality on the some phone if I use dialup then when I was braodband.  this happens when I call most aftrican country where the termination is not good.   This is because when I use broadband the media has to through some kinds of NAT transval while the dialup normally gets public IP so no NAT transval and the media gets the shorts path.

thanks

Mohamed

Jorge Crichigno <jcrichigno at conexion.com.py> wrote:
I think the data rates with overhead are as follow:

iLBC - 30 ms (a packet each 30 ms)

RTP payload: 50 bytes --> Rate: 13.3 Kbps
RTP: 62 bytes
UDP: 70 bytes
IP: 90 bytes --> total rate: 24 Kbps

iLBC - 20 ms (a packet each 20 ms)

RTP payload: 38 bytes --> Rate: 15.2 Kbps
RTP: 50 bytes
UDP: 58 bytes
IP: 78 bytes --> total rate: 31.2 Kbps

G.729 - 2 voice frame per packet

RTP payload: 20 bytes --> Rate: 8 Kbps
RTP: 32 bytes
UDP: 40 bytes
IP: 60 bytes --> Total rate: 24 Kbps

G.729 - 4 voice frame per packet

RTP payload: 40 bytes --> Rate: 8 Kbps
RTP: 52 bytes
UDP: 60 bytes
IP: 80 bytes --> Total rate: 16 Kbps

G.711 - 20 ms (a packet each 20 ms)

RTP payload: 160 bytes --> Rate: 64 Kbps
RTP: 172 bytes
UDP: 180 bytes
IP: 200 bytes --> Total rate: 80 Kbps