[Serusers] G723.1 vs G729

Jorge Crichigno jcrichigno at conexion.com.py
Fri May 27 22:53:02 CEST 2005

I think the data rates with overhead are as follow:

iLBC - 30 ms (a packet each  30 ms)

  RTP payload: 50 bytes  -->  Rate: 13.3 Kbps
  RTP: 62 bytes
  UDP: 70 bytes
  IP:  90 bytes --> total rate: 24 Kbps

iLBC - 20 ms (a packet each 20 ms)

  RTP payload: 38 bytes --> Rate: 15.2 Kbps
  RTP: 50 bytes
  UDP: 58 bytes
  IP:  78 bytes --> total rate: 31.2 Kbps

G.729 - 2 voice frame per packet

  RTP payload: 20 bytes --> Rate: 8 Kbps
  RTP: 32 bytes
  UDP: 40 bytes
  IP:  60 bytes --> Total rate: 24 Kbps

G.729 - 4 voice frame per packet

  RTP payload: 40 bytes --> Rate: 8 Kbps
  RTP: 52 bytes
  UDP: 60 bytes
  IP:  80 bytes --> Total rate: 16 Kbps

G.711 - 20 ms (a packet each 20 ms)

  RTP payload: 160 bytes --> Rate: 64 Kbps
  RTP: 172 bytes
  UDP: 180 bytes
  IP:  200 bytes --> Total rate: 80 Kbps