[Serusers] SER Reports "out of memory"

Java Rockx javarockx at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:25:54 CEST 2005

Zeus...thanks for the post.

However, it does a raise new (and possibly disturbing) question about SER's
memory usage architecture.

Here is the question; If I have 500000 records in the location table and for
the sake of this example, let's assume that each usrloc contact occupies
1024 bytes of memory. To load all 500000 usrloc records we would need
(500000 x 1024) bytes of memory plus the structure overhead. So let's just
estimate it to be a total of 512MB of memory for discussions sake. (I
realize that the actual memory requirements will be much lower).

Now when SER starts up it needs to load all usrloc records in to memory. Per
the email in the archives, SER will do this in private memory space. I
assume that after all usrloc records are loaded in to private memory that
they are then copied to shared memory. The amount of private memory is
specified in config.h as PKG_MEM_POOL_SIZE and affects __ALL__ ser
processes.

This then implies that in order to load a large number of usrloc records I
need to increase PKG_MEM_POOL_SIZE to approximately 512MB which then affects
__ALL__ ser processes. If I specify ser to use 8 child processes in my
ser.cfg file then will ser attempt to allocate 512MB x 8 or (4GB) of memory
just to start up???

If this is the case when the fundamental architecture is flawed as it would
make much more sense to have a single process load usrloc records in to
shared memory and then fork the children with a much smaller amount of
private memory.

Am I totally missing something here?

Regards,
Paul