Fwd: Re: [Serusers] Advice needed

Michael Ulitskiy mdu113 at acedsl.com
Sat May 21 20:17:24 CEST 2005

> Hi
>
> This sounds a reverse setup to what I have, or am trying to do, so am
> interested as to the thought process behind this.
>
> Your users are registered to asterisk, several boxes, I presume u r
> pulling sip.conf from a central DB, that way they can hit any box, and
> now to route out to pstn you wish to have pstn providers in various
> countries. So asterisk will decide that its a non-ip call, on non-local,
> i,e where ur asterisk cannot terminate, and then send out to remote
> gateway, you could just add all this as a dial channel in each asterisk
> box, or use asterisk lcr module (I havent used this) to do the routing
> for you.

Yes, I could do this and it's possible that I'll have to do it this way, but I'd prefer to
have a central box(es) that roughly speaking interfaces outside world.

> As greg mentioned you could do this with ser and lcr adding your gateways
> as and where you want, now the problem you may hit here is that there
> are a handful of gateways which take IP auth, and of the few who do, are
> H323, which means that passing a call out to ser may not work, since it
> will not recognise the h323 (if u decide to sip-->h323 convert) that is
> coming from asterisk.

I understand it. I'm talking about SIP termination.

> As I mentioned this seems to be a reverse scenario to my setup, where I
> am regsitering all the phones with ser, which I think is better than
> doing it at asterisk, simply because it seems to handle it better (but
> it dont do H323), and then (and this is in beta) what I am doing is do
> detect if the user is a corporate, and allow him pbx functionality i.e
> extensions settings etc etc.
>
> [PSTN connectivity is via SER, and done via IP auth, however this does
> mean inbound from pstn goes ser ---> asterisk--> ser---pstn if I need to
> forward call back out to a pstn number..but I cant work out a better
> way.]
>
> Now what this allows is to is to bypass asterisk completely for the main
> residential users, and even ignore the media stream completely, for
> those users who just wish to do cheap calling.

Well, my scenario doesn't exclude it. If I need just allow cheap calling for
residential users, I'll set up a ser box and make it talk to everything else.

> Asterisk gets pulled in when I know a user has paid me more :-). The
> problem with some gateways only allowing H323 I am looking to solve by
> using lcr to route to my asterisk box, and from there doing sip->h323
> and then send out to the gateway, i know this is not the best solution
> since it will add overhead, but I dont have a better one as yet.

Just remember, with sip<->h323 translation in asterisk, media will always go
through asterisk. I recently saw another project at http://yate.null.ro that claims
to be able to do it while sending media stream directly between endpoints.

> Not sure if that helps, its my saturday morning rambling before the FA
> Cup final....come on Utd (for those not from the UK...its like the
> superbowl, and for those not in the US...I give up :-))
>
> Would like to know why register to asterisk even though using pbx, you
> could route those users through...unless I am missing something

For many reasons, including historical ones. Also 'cause it solves many problems
almost out of the box that I'm sure you and others trying integrate ser and
asterisk are experiencing, like voicemail indication, nat traversal, per context
music on hold, very flexible database driven dialplans etc. The system was mostly
designed for business customers as hosted PBX offering and as I said if we decide
to go into residential market for just cheap calling I think it can be done with reasonable
efforts.

See you later,
                    Michael

See you later,