[Serusers] More on load balancing: LVS + SRVs, SER + Asterisk

Marco Figus marco.figus at abbeynet.it
Wed May 18 10:26:05 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greger V. Teigre" <greger at teigre.com>
To: "Pietro Ravasio" <pietro.ravasio at abbeynet.it>; <serusers at lists.iptel.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Serusers] More on load balancing: LVS + SRVs, SER + Asterisk

> Pietro Ravasio wrote:
>> Anyway, at the moment "mixing Asterisk with SER" is not my major
>> concern, I'm pretty worried about trying to use a particular outbound
>> proxy for calls to a NATed UA:
>>
>>>    I think that the dispatcher module of ser can be used
>>> cheaper instead of using LVS, which will not give you call-id
>>> persistence anyway.  AFAIU, your scenario is quite similar to
>>> what I described in this thread:
>>> http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2005-May/019118.html
>>> Just a different implementation...
>>
>> Yes, I now agree with you in using this approach rather than "multiple
>> internal domains" one. The only things I'd like to modify are:
>> - storing location on every message, not only on REGISTER, in case a
>> ser dies and lvs udp persistence sends the next UA message to another
>> SER (for instance my Sipura phone sends a bunch of NOTIFY messages in
>> order to keep NAT open, if a ser dies and if phone is already
>> authenticated, I want to update "its SER")
>
> I'm not sure if I like the idea of doing an sql write for every single
> message. That's will be a massive performance hit.  But the idea is good.
> What about doing LVS NAT?

Not for every single message, but just for REGISTER or for any other message
from UA not in server registration info memory.
In this case the SER (receiveing the message from "unknown UA") will update
info's in proxyIP table and load, from location table, registration infos.
Now this will be the proxy referring to UA.