[Serusers] registrar module max_contacts()

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Sat Mar 12 09:31:12 CET 2005

Hi Paul,
There is no way for ser to know whether the old phone is updating from a new
IP or if a second phone is trying to register.  The second attempt will
receive an error message with something like "max contacts has been reached"
if I recall correctly. Dependent on the register interval you use for your
UAs this is probably not an issue (unless the interval is long).
    We had a discussion on the list a while back on what would be
appropriate register expiry times.  I think it was Jan Janak who suggested
10 minutes as a compromise between load reduction and NAT restart (as the
NAT may give the phone behind NAT a new port number) and other
contact-related issues.
g-)