[Serusers] How does SER choose source address for outgoing SIP message

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Mar 10 13:31:24 CET 2005

On Mar 09, 2005 at 14:58, PHAN, Quang-Minh (Docteur Ordinateur) <Quang-Minh.PHAN at neuf.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> 	I installed SER on a server with multiple network interfaces. I
> found that SER uses different IP source addresses for sip messages
> originating from it. Could someone tell me how SER decides which address to
> use? Does this depend on destination address of the sip message? Thank you.

By default it depends on the socket the message was received on. For
example if an INVITE is received on ip1:port1 and the message is
forwarded to another proxy, it will always have source = ip1:port1, even
if the message is routed through another interface.

If mhomed=1 is set in ser.cfg, it will use the source address of the
outgoing interface (but this mode is a little bit slower).

With newer versions (starting from 0.9.0) it's possible to force the
outgoing interface (source address and port) from the script,
with force_send_socket().

Andrei