[Serusers] SER RADIUS Accounting and B2BUA

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Sun Mar 6 23:06:45 CET 2005

Matt,

Because SER handles SIP messages, not RTP streams, it cannot 100%
accurately record CDRs. For instance, if the BYE message is lost because
a client crashed, SER has no way of knowing when the call ended or how
much it cost. A BTBUA gets round this problem by having the RTP packets
come to it, so if a client crashes, the RTP stream stops and the BTBUA
knows the call has finished. The disadvantage of a BTBUA is that it adds
latency and doesn't scale well, because it needs to handle all the RTP
traffic.

I install quite a few SER and Asterisk systems for my customers, and a
fix for this issue is the most frequent item I'm asked for. It's
unavoidable, however, if one wants SER's scalability. What I usually
recommend for them is to install a SER system (for scalability,
registrations, routing of calls that don't need a CDR, etc) fronting
multiple BTBUAs such as Asterisk or Cisco (for accurate billing of PSTN
calls).

Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,
Telephony, Database, Unix consulting worldwide
+44 (0)7870 699 479
http://integrics.com/