[Serusers] RTP Wiretapping

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Fri Mar 4 22:41:29 CET 2005

At 11:18 PM 3/3/2005, Terry Mac Millan wrote:
>If the modified RTP and non-modified RTP modules are on the same machine and
>most regular calls are already making use of the RTP, then the IP's
>shouldn't change at all. So the parties involved in the tapping will still
>see the same IP address at the providers end, which shouldn't give it away
>if they are being tapped.

most of calls do use RTP but that can't be said about RTP relay. RTP relay
is not used that frequently (at least in well engineered setups), which is good.
Constant use of RTP relay is a poor setup having bad impact on QoS and
scalability.

>It would be nice to ignore,

I suggest reading before replying would better facilitate the technical
discussion here. I actually didn't suggest to ignore LI. I suggested
ignoring the possibility of advanced caller to learn that a call is
not routed peer-to-peer. Other alternatives may be that expensive
or hard-to-build that they do not appear entirely practicable.

-jiri