[Serusers] avpops and ip based auth

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Thu Jun 23 13:05:45 CEST 2005

I would say that as allow_trusted uses a cached (and I believe hashed) list
of IP addresses to match against, it is better suited for non-(or low)
dynamic data like trusted peers etc. avpops is better suited for subscriber
specific operations (as avpops will do the DB every time) and thus larger
number of IPs and dynamic data.
    Are you thinking about storing the IPs with avp_db_store for each
register and then just allow any IP you have stored?  This would save you
some DB cycles probably (and some SIP messages) as you only do one lookup
and no digest challenge for INVITEs.  You would then allow anybody behind a
given NAT and again IP-based auth on UDP is not really secure.
    And of course, you would probably need a way to expire the IPs?!

Or have I misunderstood completely? What are you trying to achieve?
g-)