[Serusers] SER losing SIP registrations

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at instant.com.br
Wed Jun 22 22:57:43 CEST 2005

Our company has a call center implementation on a client with up to 100
support personnel using X-Lite version 1050 softphones running under
Windows 98. Until a few days ago, the softphones were logged in directly
on our PBXs. Now, they log onto a separate SER 0.8.14 box and the PBXs
forward calls to SER. That was needed to unify queue management.

It works. But some softphones are being randomly kicked out of SER, it
seems SER isn't receiving the refresh REGISTER messages from the
softphones. The re-register timeout is set to 500 seconds on the
softphones. There's a lot of "removing spare zombie" and "Binding
'<user>','<url>' has expired" messages in /var/log/messages.

For now, we're instructing the client to increase the timeout to 10
hours on the softphones in which the problem happens most often. I don't
know if that's really the right thing to do, I think we should somehow
make sure the re-registers are done in a timely fashion and retried, but
I could not find ant SER configuration option related to that. What
should I do?

Another thing: the softphones take a horribly high amount of time to log
in, but that may be because X-Lite sucks.

Regards,
Juan