[Serusers] Portal for forking call to preferred end device -sequential ringing

Samuel Osorio Calvo samuel.osorio at nl.thalesgroup.com
Tue Jun 21 13:13:22 CEST 2005

I guess a sequential forking ordered with the q value of the contact header field value would do what you are asking for. The user has just to configure the appropriate value in his/her UA to the preferred ringing sequence. This method is fully SIP compliant but what I am not sure is if SER does sequential forking in the q order (it wasn't a few months ago but some modifications might have added it...someone can tell you better than me).
If you still want users to modify SER's database with a web interface, you might try to modify the q value in the usrloc database, of course if SER does q-ordered sequential forking, but I just think it adds lots of complexity to a feature which SER is supposed to provide together with minum user configuration in the endpoints.

Hope it helps,

Samuel.

Unclassified.
>>> "Aisling" <ashling.odriscoll at cit.ie> 06/21/05 12:54PM >>>
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone will offer an opinion as to how I should approach the
following and if I am thinking along the correct lines:

I am creating a web application where a user can dictate which device
they want a call delivered to. So if I have a user with sip url
"sip:2000 at server" and they have registered with the SER server from a
pda, pc and laptop, SER will currently parallel fork a call to all these
destinations causing all softphones to ring (correct?). However I want a
user to choose from a drop down menu in their browser (which I'm
developing with servlets and JSP's) their preferred phone e.g. pda and
then SER will fork the call to the softphone on the pda first.

So basically my current plan is to retrieve the information from the
user about their preferred phone (which will be associated with a
particular IP address) and then dynamically modify the ser.cfg for a
sequential forking rule for that user. I would appreciate opinions as to
whether I am approaching this correctly or if there's an alternative
method for such functionality (perhaps such as forking the call to the
device which last registered or something)?

Many Thanks,
Aisling.

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay in its receipt.