[Serusers] Conclusions

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Thu Jun 16 22:31:39 CEST 2005

Folks,

There were a lot of ideas, discussions, fears vehiculated in the last
days. I try to bring some response as quick and as short as possible
just to close the subject.

1) there is and it will be no war - I think the idea to associate war
with new thing is in human nature and we cannot fight it. Media Proxy
was also welcomed with war and it proved to be a good thing (a
complementary solution to nathelper); avpops got the same treatment and
now I believe to be a very used module. So let's try t get rid of the
war idea - OpenSER is just an alternative to SER and everybody is free
to choose what to use.

2) very common idea (no idea who came with it?!) was that OpenSER is
less stable and it will be mainly an place for new thing to get mature -
wrong ! OpenSER's stability will be one of its strong attribute - if you
look to the NEW FEATURE section we will be surprise how many bugs were
hunted and fixed. Shortly - we will try to keep OpenSER as stable as SER
and maybe more - of course, nothing is bug free :)

3) getting back into SER team - maybe the GCC story will happen, but for
this the SER must prove (with facts and not words) that it became a real
open project - politics and development are not dictated by any hidden
commercial reasons; SER becomes an independent and neutral project (not
faked "propriety" of anybody), anybody being free to contribute; the
maintainer dictatorship must end - a module maintainer must not have
"live or death" right on its modules, it must obey the management group
of the project!.

4) documentation management - that a hard problem which frustrated the
users a lot - OpenSER tries a different cycle of documentation which
will make it easier to use and to update for user: main storage point
will be sgml files on CVS -> HTML files on web for reading -> on web
wiki page for user to contrib/comment -> filtered time to time by
maintainers and moved into sgml; and here ends; easy and straight for
both users and maintainers; also Makefiles has built-in commands for
generating READMEs and HTMLS from sgml.

now, some short answers to some interesting ideas:

Greger
------
what was the attitude when "commercial components start popping up with
alternative contributions" ?
 IGNORE!
"Do they(voice system) contribute their commercial code to OpenSER? Of
course not, they have exactly the same problems as iptelorg.com" Maybe
you should look twice to avpops, speeddial, alias_db, uac modules,
maintenance for xlog and pdt and all patches to usrloc, rr , register
and nathlper - many enterprise solution fixes are there (nat traversal
and replication)

Kristian Galway, reticent, Maxim, Klaus, Giudace
there is no war and let's forget the word! it's simple matter of
choosing and liberty (even if history showed us that all this were gain
through war) Everybody is free to use whatever he like. If you don't
like OpenSER, fine by me, forget about it, but don't misplace words!

Dave, Ingo, Maxim, Atle
by splitting the project nothing is lost, but better (efficient) used;
for developers - no more struggle to put your stuff on cvs; more time to
work on real things; anyhow you worked was blocked on SER :(. For users
- if they know what they want, they can have the liberty to choose based
on the preferences, which is a step forward. Let's not hide behind the
mentality - simple thing and less options make our life easier...

Harry, Samuel
-------------

interesting idea of being looser....wonder way?? If like SER you can
stick to it and you don't loose or win; If you find OpenSER more
suitable for you, you win.....so....where is the looser may I ask??

Cesc
-----

|And this process (n. devel) must be well-defined and NOT CONTROLLED exclusively by a company (be iptel or voice-systems, same-o, same-o). If the contribution is voted as desirable by a community of users, it is well tested and so on, it should be accepted."
you made a strong point here !!

with this email I want to close the subject. Please *do not reply* to
it, but only in privately or use openser mailing list if you have
related questions.

End of subject
Bogdam