[Serdev] Re: [Serusers] OpenSER release

Thu Jun 16 19:12:44 CEST 2005

Jan Janak wrote:
> On 16-06-2005 11:35, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I would provide additional documentation (to the modules I'm familiar
>>with) - but the problem is the way how documentation must be added.
>>
>>I'm not familiar with sgml. I do not know the syntax, I do not know how
>>to create the README file out of the sgml file. I'm not a cvs expert.
>>
>>Adding documentation is to complex. I already added asterisk
>>documentation to voip-info because it is very easy to do.
>>
>>Maybe we could find an easier way for providing documentation.
>

>   There is a whole section on SER in the voip-info wiki:
>
>   http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=SIP+Express+Router
>
>   And guess what, most of the documentation just points back to the
>   documentation generated from the docbook files.

Things are a little different. asterisk didn't had any documentation at
all, those the wiki was accepted by users and they started writing the
docu. ser already had a good docu (admins guide), thus, adding
documentation to the wiki generates either redundancy, or an information
split (one function documented on iptel.org, another one documented on
the wiki). IMO, this is the reason why a wiki for ser is not the best
solution.

>   Why people are not using that ? It has been there for ages, it was
>   announced on the mailing lists several times and there is a link to it
>   from the offical SER web page. Or is this still not obvious enough ?
>
>   I must be missing something, because I don't know how to make it any easier.
>   Do you want something like http://wiki.iptel.org ?
>   Is this the major problem ? If so I would be happy to create it.

There is one thing that must be avoided - duplicated documentation.
Thus, we should stay with README files, or move them into a wiki - not
both of them. Furthermore we would need a wiki with branches - so that
users see which features are supported in which versions.

btw: and the wiki (hardware+software) should be more powerful than
voip-info :-)

regards,
klaus