[Serusers] OpenSER release

Thu Jun 16 17:13:19 CEST 2005

Jan Janak wrote:
> On 16-06-2005 11:35, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I would provide additional documentation (to the modules I'm familiar
>>with) - but the problem is the way how documentation must be added.
>>
>>I'm not familiar with sgml. I do not know the syntax, I do not know how
>>to create the README file out of the sgml file. I'm not a cvs expert.
>

>   The format is docbook: http://www.docbook.org
>   It is not complex, in my opinion, and you only need a couple of basic
>   tags (you can use existing docs as reference).
>
>   We usually generate READMEs before every release.

Thus, CVS-users must read sgml files drectly from the CVS to get
documentation :-(

Generation of the README should be done automatically - e.g. every night
using a cron job.

>>Adding documentation is to complex. I already added asterisk
>>documentation to voip-info because it is very easy to do.
>>
>>Maybe we could find an easier way for providing documentation.
>

>   Suggestions welcome.

I would prefer a webbased solution. Everytime I resolve an issue about
ser and I want to add a note to the documentation, I want to do it in a
fast way. I would go the the webpage (need not be a wiki), enhance the
existing document - done. Commiting the new documentation to CVS and
generating the README should be done automatically.

I do not know if such tools exist.

btw: why do developers enhance ser without updating the documentation? I
guess because it is too time-consuming.

regards,
klaus