[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] openser/ser - avoiding forks

Giudice, Salvatore Salvatore.Giudice at FMR.COM
Thu Jun 16 15:45:23 CEST 2005

So 31 submitted patches/feature requests were basically ignored in the
past year and a half? How can this situation be improved? Is there going
to be a commitment to monitor this new ticketing system? How many
patches and more feature requests will need to be reconciled 18 months
from now?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Janak [mailto:jan at iptel.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:57 PM
To: Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul
Cc: serdev at lists.iptel.org; serusers at lists.iptel.org
Subject: [Serusers] Re: [Serdev] openser/ser - avoiding forks

Hello,

I am trying to reconcile patches and improvement suggestions that have
been
left unanswered on the mailing lists. I went through serusers and serdev
mailing list archives from the beginning of 2004 till now.

I was mainly focusing on submitted patches and non-trivial feature
requests.
Below is a list of issues that I was able to find in the mailing list
archives.
Given the number of messages that were sent to the lists in the last
year
I am pretty sure that the list below will miss many suggestions.

If you submitted a patch or improvement and it was neither accepted nor
rejected,
and it is still relevant, please resubmit your proposal to
serdev at lists.iptel.org
mailing list or (preferably) create an issue in the bug tracking system
at:

http://bugs.sip-router.org

Please re-submit also improvements sent in individual messages to
developers.

Summary
-------

When it comes to accepting improvements, there surely is space for
improvements
but the situation, in my opinion, is not as bad as it may seem from the
recent
discussions. Properly reported bugs get usualy fixed quickly. The more
detailed
description the faster the fix, so I think there are no big problems
with that.

The list at the end of this message contains patches and feature
requests that
I was able to find in the archives. From the list the following issues
have
not yet been closed:

1, 4, 7, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31

And from those only  1, 4, 18, 21, 22, 25, 31 contained patches that
have
been left unanswered. That 7 patches which still need to be processed.

The following patches have in my opinion low importance:

  1  - date header in REGISTER replies
  18 - radius fix for acc
  21 - check_to for digest credentials without database

The following patches can be classified as important:

   4 - AVP support in acc
  22 - transactional auth replies
  25 - Free TLS
  31 - Xten improvements of pa

In addition to that there are the following improvement suggestions
which
did not contain any patches: 7, 19, 23, 24

So I was able to find 4 important and 3 less important patches that were
not
integrated in the last 1.5 year from the 31 items below. Also I created
issues
in the bug tracking system for all items below that are not yet closed.

The winner among them in terms of e-mail volume is free TLS, of course.

  Jan.

PS: Code back-porting is another issue and is not covered here.

------

SERUSERS - 2004

1)