[Serdev] Re: [Serusers] how to increment cseq? (for uac auth)

Michael Ulitskiy mdu113 at acedsl.com
Thu Jun 9 20:55:27 CEST 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 05:07 am, you wrote:
> Just my 2 cents....
>
> Since SER is transaction aware and not dialog aware, it is not easy to maintain consistent Cseq values during a dialog. I'm sure UAC maintainers are thinking on it and they will come with a solution, but just let them work without stress ;)

Sure. I didn't want to put stress on anyone.
However I proposed a way to implement it by existing (or simple to add) means.
Not that I liked it too much myself, but that is the only thing I could come with and
I'd really like to receive some comments on whether it's possible or I'm
completely wrong.
Also I'm wondering how hard is it to have something like "save_dialog()" and "check_dialog()"
function that would store callid and from/to tag in some in-memory hash.
I don't think that performance/memory consumption objections really stands anymore.
How much memory would it take to save dialog identifier (callid and tags)?
Let's say 100 bytes. So if I dedicate 10M of RAM for that table I'd be able
to keep 100000 dialogs.

> However, don't think the UAC approach is the right one having TLS around......I would prefer pushing for TLS instead of adding a table of existing dialog in SER with the appropriate values. I'm sure there's lots of providers reading this list so if everybody starts asking for TLS....well, big providers will start providing it for auth. I'm not an expert but I've been told implementing TLS is not a hard job....;)

Well, if TLS becomes mainstream I'll have no choice, but use it,
but I'd prefer to do without TLS or even moving to TCP, at least for a while.
I believe existing md5 authentication is good enough for what it is used
in SIP. Sure setting TLS is doable, but it's definitely more work
then just setting shared password.
Also I don't think TLS is going to become mainstream in SIP any time soon.
Look at TLS in SMTP. It's been available for years, but I still don't see it in
wide use for server-to-server communication, just between servers and end users.