[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] ENUM issues - req. for discussion#

Tue Jun 7 21:51:59 CEST 2005

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:

> On Jun 07, 2005 at 14:56, Samuel Osorio Calvo <samuel.osorio at nl.thalesgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>If DNS is slow, or misconfigured (e.g. a zone is delegated to a
>>>nameserver which is down), the thread will be blocked for several
>>>seconds. E.g. if you use debian woody and 2 nameservers in
>>>/etc/resolv.conf, the timeout is 20 seconds. If you are lucky, the OS
>>>allows configuration of the DNS timeouts. Nevertheless, you have to
>>>consider that a ser thread will be blocked up to 20 seconds. This has
>>>impacts on your configuration:
> I think it's much better to start ser with lots of children processes
> (let's say 500, or the maximum acceptable for your machine configuration).

Nevertheless, this does not solve the retransmission problems. Any
suggestions how to solve this?

btw: how much memory do I need for 500 threads? Any suggestions for a
Dual P3 1.3 GHz with 512 MB ram?

> So, I don't think async. dns would be a solution.

It also would be nice to have parallel ENUM requests, to parse multiple
trees in parallel instead of serial.

regards,
klaus