[Users] failover and presence/IM service

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Tue Jun 21 17:47:21 CEST 2005

Hello,

On 06/21/05 13:34, jimmy way wrote:

>Hi all,
>   1st question is does openser support Failover and
>load balance of openser server. That means we can use
>two or more openser server to handle the SIP
>request/response

there is a module named "dispatcher" that can be used to distribute the
traffic. It does static distribution, does not count the load of a server.

> and use hot backup. How to do that

There is no exlicit support for hot backup in openser/ser. You have to
use third-party products to be able to switch between the active and
backup servers. The two servers can be kept synchronized using
t_replicate().

>   2nd question is that I find openser support both
>Jabber and SIMPLE.

No, it does not support Jabber/XMPP, just SIP and SIMPLE. It includes a
Jabber-to-SIMPLE gateway which is able to translate from a protocol to
another. The presence does not work, because presence support in
openser/ser (pa module) in under heavy development and not released as
stable. Also, the jabber module (the Jabber-to-SIMPLE gateway) was not
tested with latest Jabber servers.

I have started long time ago to write a pure SIMPLE-to-XMPP gateway
which will allow on-the-fly gatewaying, without authentication as it is
now (the authentication is required so users can provide ICQ/MSN/AIM
accounts to get from SIMPLE to that IM network via Jaber). If someone
wants to take over, I can give some help at the beginning.

> It look like Jabber is stable and
>support and many people from open source world, many
>plus GOOGLE.

Jabber is also a bit older than SIMPLE and it was designed for instant
messaging and presence.

> But SIMPLE is still unstable.

SIMPLE is just an extension for SIP to enable instant messaging and
presence, so it carries the design of VoIP.

> I want to
>use Jabber for providing presence/IM service, plus
>file transfer service.(I want to using reSIProcate
>stack from sipfoundry as client's stack) Does openser
>support that all?

OpenSER can interwork with any SIP-compliant entity

>And which is better, Jabber or SIMPLE?

With VoIP gaining more and more supporters, SIMPLE may be a winning
card, but I think will take some time to have mature implementations at
least for presence. As I see things evolving at IETF, the format to
carry presence information is going to be unified (if not yet) and
SIP/SIMPLE or XMPP will be carrier protocols. Also, XMPP started to
develop extensions for VoIP :) ...

Regards,
Daniel