[Serusers] Questions about ser

Michael Ulitskiy mdu113 at acedsl.com
Sun Jul 24 23:05:45 CEST 2005

On Saturday 23 July 2005 06:20 pm, Jan Janak wrote:
> On 18-07-2005 15:43, Michael Ulitskiy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using several modules that access a database.
> > I've noticed that when I start ser in forked mode with
> > "children=8", it generates 62 connections to database.
> > Does every child open a separate set of database handles
> > (one for every module)?
>
>    Yes.
>
> > I remember I saw on the mailing list advises to run
> > ser with hundreds of children to avoid problems when no workers
> > are available to process a message. If my guess is true it would
> > generate hundreds (or even thousands) of database connections.
> > I'm really interested to hear how people out there deal with it.
>
>   No, you don't need hundreds of children, usualy 16 is maximu what you
>   need. Newer ser versions contain connection pool, so each child will
>   open exactly one database connection and it will be reused across
>   modules.

What about processing that involves slow DNS queries? I thought this would
eat up available workers quite quickly and further processing will be blocked?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also has connection pool been implemented (or are there plans to implement it) for postgres?
This is very important for me as I need to use it.

> > On a separate note I'm curious whether number of children in ser
> > is limited to a given startup value or ser is able to fork additional
> > children as needed?
> > Thank you,
>
>   It is limited by the value configured in the config file.

Thanks for the info.

--
See you later,
                    Michael