[Serusers] ACK

Nils Ohlmeier lists at ohlmeier.org
Tue Jul 19 20:58:34 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 20:53, Sebastian Kühner wrote:
> I have two phones behind a Port Restricted Cone NAT (both in the same
> private area) and ser is running with another public IP.
>
> I want to call from one of those phone to the other. The call is set up and
> I can talk, but one Softphone shows me the message: "Waiting
> acknowledgement..."... and all followed SIP messages don't reach the other
> phone. I'm using a STUN server.
>
> Call from 14 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060 to 13 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1024:
>
> 14 -> ser:
> ----------
> IVITE 13 at ip.of.ser.xxx@5060  (Contact: 14 at 192.168.1.101:5060)
>
> ser -> 13:
> INVITE 13 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1024 (Contact: 14 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060)

sorry but what do you use STUN for if the UAs still use their private IPs and
your SER is re-writting the Contact? If you allready fixing the IP it should
be easy to fix the port as well.

Conclusion: throw away STUN. In case of symmetric NATs you have to find
another solution anyway. And you really do not want to try to determine the
NAT type with STUN.

  Nils