[Serusers] Fax and SIP

Giovanni Balasso giaso at yahoo.it
Wed Jul 13 11:35:29 CEST 2005

Maybe not specific to ser, but I think this issue may be intresting to
serusers...
I think business voip solution would have a major added value if they could
offer fax service. After some googling around it seems that fax over IP
protocols (T.38) are somewhat unreliable.
Ok now some loud thinking:
enters SIP, and we all well know that SIP is media independent, so could I
send documents instead of voice? I mean having two SIP endpoints which can
transfer, say, a postscript file. Then we should build SIP fax machines which
can scan documents to ps and send and receive via SIP, and as well build PSTN
gateways which receive from SIP and simply pass ps data to some fax server
like hylafax.
Do you thik this is possible? Am I delirating?

ciao
--
Giovanni Balasso
giaso at yahoo.it