[Serusers] Session-Timers for Prepaid

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Sun Jul 10 00:45:56 CEST 2005

The mediaproxy part is used for natting problems, and this can be
separated out from the proxy itself, however there is still overhead I
guess if you want the entire solution put together. If you don't have
nat problems and you get ur customers to use external IP's then there
is a huge benefit.

the lvs part of it is about having multiple redundant ser's working
together, and doing some sort of load balancing,

Because ser is designed as a proxy, which makes it inherently different
from asterisk, it shouldn't/cant be compared to asterisk. Asterisk is
actually easier (I find :-)) than ser.

A plugin module like u suggest would be great, maybe not even make it
part of ser, just a module, I know people will say use some other b2bua,
but the module with a tighter intergration in ser is better.

The way I have it currently is ser sitting infron of everything else, i.e
the gateways and asterisk (which in my case doesnt do pstn, but i just
use it for pbx stuff)

The mediaproxy and all can then all be pulled onto sep servers as and
when required.

SER + asterisk I think is very powerful, since ser can handle all the
message stuff and let asterisk do the pbx part. This way users who dont
need mediaproy, dont use it (some saving), those who do not need
features of asterisk, dont, (again saving), and those who need both,
well I have to accept that I take a hit, but why take a hit all the time.

If I have 10000 users, out of that 1% is corporate using all pbx stuff,
and the rest 9900 50% use nat 50% dont, I have a 50% saving, which means
if I can fine tune my billing, I get prepay,postpay, with a few lost
cents here and there. I concede it will never be perfect, but I am
designing something for the 21st century, and my thoughts are the
billing by minute will go, and flat rate per month any country to any
country will be the way, so fo rthe short term, I am patching :-)

Iqbal