FW: Re: [Serusers] SER and NAT and RTProxy

Ashling O'Driscoll ashling.odriscoll at cit.ie
Sat Jan 29 15:55:42 CET 2005

After doing a small bit of testing I have a bit more information
which may help identify the problem....Basically I think the problem
comes down to nat.

I still get the rtp errors mentioned below in the var/log/messages
file whether voice works or not(strangely enough)...but here are the
scenarios that work and dont work:

I have ser and asterisk on a private natted network. They are reached
via a router which has a public address and does port forwarding. One
my clients(a bt100 hardphone is also on this lan but registers with
ser throught the public address anyway...so my understanding is that
the bt100's sip register message goes out onto the internet and back
in again.

Now if the bt100 rings a client (e.g. xlite or windows messenger)or
vice versa that are also on this lan...the call works and voice is
transmitted (even though they again register through the public
address by routing their sip messages onto the internet and back in
again). However if the bt100 tries to ring a client not on the lan
(on another network which may or may not be behind nat)...np voice is
transmitted....Surely this is a nat problem even through the rtp
errors are being displayed??....

If anybody has any idea how to fix this or if any more information is
required in order to troubleshoot please let me know. Like I
mentioned before this must be demoed next week...This natting
scenarion worked when clients registered direct to asterisk so i
presume its possible with ser.

Thanks in advance,
Aisling.