[Serusers] Carrier-grade framework for SER

Juha Heinanen jh at lohi.tutpro.com
Fri Jan 28 06:13:22 CET 2005

Greger V. Teigre writes:

 > *** We all have this issue.  It is my understanding that t_replicate: a)
 > uses SIP messages b) uses a best-effort algorithm (haven't looked at the
 > code...) c) can be used between several servers, but when you introduce a
 > new server, you need to change each server's ser.cfg

no you don't if you keep your server ip addresses in database and have a
fifo command to reload them each time there is a change.  i have started
coding this, but is not ready yet.

 > My suggestion for a simple solution based on the discussion so far:  Extend
 > t_replicate with a guaranteed mode of replication.

this indeed is a good thing to do.

 > 3. Network-based provisioning of new users, aliases, etc
 > ------------
 > Scenario: One server need to be provisioned from a web server or process
 > running on a remote server
 > Goal: Allow ser to receive TCP/IP based provisioning messages
 > Problems: ser's FIFO does not have a TCP/IP interface
 >
 > *** I think this is an extension to ser that would benefit many people.  I
 > also believe that a provisioning interface should be SOAP based due
 > to share number of projects that probably will use the interface for
 > provisioning.

somebody mentioned that since ser fifo now has unix domain support, it
would not be difficult to extend it to tcp support.  that may be true
atleast for the person who did unix domain support and thus knows the
code.  i guess fifo tcp support already is on iptel's long to-do list.

what comes to soap, i would prefer a solution that has an abstraction
layer and backends for both soap and xmlrpc, since not everyone of fond
of microsoft solutions.

-- juha