[Serusers] Carrier-grade framework for SER

Dragos Vingarzan vingarzan at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jan 27 18:17:31 CET 2005

Hi all!

Well, maybe I don't know what I am talking about, I just saw now this
message, don't know the entire discussion, so anyway, here it goes.

I am working on implementing 3GPP's IMS using ser and by doing this I am
implementing the 3GPP AAA scenarios, which, as I understood, will evolve
into IETF's "Diameter SIP authentication" (now is a Draft)
http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-sip-app/ .

Usrloc, although I use it locally is not anymore needed on a large
distributed scale because the AAA servers keep track of where the users
are registered and you can query them by standard request (Location
Information Request, User Authorization Request) to find out where to
forward messages.

1. more users, more servers. I think this should be the way to do it. I
never liked replication because it's kind of a too complicated solution
to work reliably.
I really think that the Diameter SIP auth will scale very well. Keep in
mind that it was designed to work in large mobile networks (3G, right?).
The network should be splitted into different functional sip proxies,
and in this case:
- interogating(finds where a user is/should be registered and forwards
the msg there)
- serving (actually services the user).

2.the replication problem has just moved from ser to the AAA server. But
the AAA server can be distributed so that each one will hold a limited
number of users, and a special AAA routing node can be used to route
requests toward the right AAA, which will respond to them. The AAA
server holding users could be a point of failure so maybe you will still
need to duplicate it's functionality but I think it's better to do a
replication just to ensure availability/fail-safety then to do it in
order to implement functionality.
At SIP level the distribution can be done using the interogating nodes,
first to redirect REGISTERs in load balancing if you want, to different
ser servers; and then the users can be found by interogating the AAA
servers which will track the users registration status.

3. the provisioning needs to be done in the AAA server only and all the
ser servers in the farm will obey.
I would suggest a "farm" architecture for ser, where all nodes are
configured the same and then you could dinamically introduce or take
back some such servers depending on load. All this would be done by
provisioning on the AAA.

4. Actually 1. responded to this. Load balancing is controled in
interogating sip-proxies and in AAA servers and not by "patches" like
DNS SRV (please don't flame me on this one ;-) ).

I, personaly consider that ser should be limited to what it does best -
SIP - and other components should do provisioning, replication and user
tracking. Anyway, user location is more of a AAA job, don't you think?
This is my personal opinion and I might be wrong :)  . It is based on
the patterns of the 3GPP and diameter-sip-app. Although I have reached
the testing phase and it works, I have not yet performed large stress
tests to see how it works because my target is to build a working 3GPP
IMS, not a diameter-sip application as the draft says. So if there is
interest for this, please let me know.

Dragos

Dragos Vingarzan
FOKUS/MOBIS
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
10589 Berlin
Germany

Phone   +49 (0)30 - 3463 - 7242
Mobile  +49 (0)162 - 153 - 0 - 154

eMail   vingarzan at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Web     www.fokus.fraunhofer.de
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.