[Serusers] Carrier-grade framework for SER

Andreas Granig andreas.granig at inode.info
Thu Jan 27 11:09:15 CET 2005

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> you can have any number of proxies participating in replication.

What method are you thinking of? t_replicate() reports

   ERROR: t_newtran: transaction already in process 0x4054d5ec

if you call it twice, like

   t_replicate("foohost", "5060");
   t_replicate("barhost", "5060");

Or do you mean something like

   forward_tcp("foohost", "5060");
   forward_tcp("barhost", "5060");

and on the receiving hosts

   if(/* register from replicating host */)
     save_noreply("location");

which would be a possibility, indeed...

>  > Beside that the domain tables (location etc) get out of synch if one of
>  > the SERs is down for a moment, because retransmission is only tried a
>  > few times.
>
> i don't see why this needs to be the case with db mode 2.  when ser
> comes back up, it updates its location table from database.

I think mode 1 (Write-Through) should be used because the SER could
start up while some of the contacts aren't flushed to DB yet.

However, how would you set up your database connections here? Using a
common usrloc database for all hosts (-> single point of failure)? This
is the main point. _How_ do you share the contacts as reliable as
possible so that a host can go down for a while without getting out of
synch regarding the contacts?

Andy