[Serusers] IPv6, problems with link local

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Wed Jan 19 22:47:19 CET 2005

If you look in your logs you will find something like this:

Jan 19 22:09:26 localhost ser[10071]: ERROR: udp_init: bind(3, 0x80d2f20, 28) on FE80:0:0:0:202:2DFF:FE5B:E76: Invalid argument
Jan 19 22:09:26 localhost ser[10071]: ERROR: udp_init: might be caused by using a link  local address, try site local or global

SER cannot bind a link-local IPv6 address, because just the address
itself does not contain enough information for the kernel to find out
the interface to be used.

link-local addresses are configured automatically by the kernel. The
configuration is stateless -- link-local addresses are derived from the
MAC address of the network interface. Therefore there is nothing like
common subnet which all the devices on the same link could share and
the kernel cannot derive the outgoing interface based on the
destination address of the packet and routing table.

One would need to specify the interface to be used, but that is
currently not supported by ser, also the support in glibc for this is
problematic (not supported till 2.2, if I remember correctly).

  Jan.