[Serusers] Register with an alias?

serusers at jtoga.org serusers at jtoga.org
Thu Jan 13 16:16:50 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get the following functionality working (which may be
impossible?)

- Users have account (in subscriber table) with a numeric identity, say
"1234 at sip.acme.org"
- Create an alias of this person so that they can be called by a text
string, say "fred at sip.acme.org".  This is in the alias table pointing to
sip:1234 at sip.acme.org

Everything works fine.  someone can call either "1234" or "Fred"....

Now "fred" wants to use his text name to Register as the number is not used
any more.  In other words I'd like to lookup("aliases") before
authenticating.  (eg map from "fred" to "1234" and then verify based upon
the password in the subscriber table for "1234").

Is there any way to have two (or more) 'subscriber' names get to the same
auth info for Registration?

Thanks for any pointers...