[Serusers] ser on linksys router

Fri Jan 14 12:53:02 CET 2005

Alexander Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> On Thursday 13 January 2005 22:38, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
>>Richard wrote:
>>
>>>I can think of two application which might be appealing.
>>>
>>>The first one is a pbx which can be deployed in a company. All internal
>>>calls are routed through it. One can distribute the central ser server
>>>functions into multiple smaller ser servers.
>>
>>I guess for PBX applications asterisk is better.
>

> That's interesting. I tried to build up my private home pbx with a combination
> of SER and ASTERISK. The result: The missing call routing capabilities which
> * describes with the nice word "hairpin" makes it useless for PBX
> architectures. ASTERISK might be useful for something especially because it
> supports NT mode for ISDN, but I cannot see for what. Maybe you can help me a
> little and tell me how to overcome this big "hairpin" issue. I would be very
> thankful because that would allow me to set up a very nice PBX replacement
> which was almost completed before I was stopped by the "hairpin".

What do you mean with hairpin? AFAIK Cisco uses this term and means
"VoIP<->VoIP" calls in their gateways. Hairpin is also used in STUN
terminology and means that the NAT router forwards packets from inside1
to inside2 although the packets are addressed to the external socket of
inside2.

What does hairpin in asterisk terminology mean?

regards,
klaus