[Serusers] Using SER to bypass port-5060 filter

Miguel Cruz mnc-serusers at u.nu
Thu Jan 6 15:31:09 CET 2005

My ISP, which holds both the broadband and landline telephony monopolies
in this area, blocks port 5060. Also, I am behind NAT (at this location;
my router has a real address).

I am hoping it would be possible to set up a proxy at a 3rd location to
make it possible to use the Broadvoice service. I am able to use FWD for
incoming and outgoing without trouble, so I don't think there are any
other obstacles.

I tried setting up my 3rd-location server to simply reflect packets that
hit it on UDP port 7000, so they went to Broadvoice's server on port 5060.
Unsurprisingly, I suppose, that didn't work. Tcpdump showed that nothing
ever came back along that route; I am not sure whether Broadvoice's server
was sending replies anywhere, but they sure weren't making it to my
intermediate reflecting machine.

So I guess there needs to be some rewriting going on. It seems like SER
may be the tool for this, but after looking through many example
configurations, I was unable to find something as simple as what I'm
after. Does anyone have any ideas about a good place for me to start? Is
SER in fact an appropriate tool for this task?

Thanks.

miguel