[Serusers] "3xx Redirection" - How Should This Work?

Java Rockx javarockx at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:39:27 CET 2005

Thanks Steve.

The only reason I was using 3xx responses was because I believed that
was the correct way to handle call forwarding.

The downside of just relaying the message after rewriting the
hostname/port is that validation must be done on the forwarded
destination.

For example, if a SIP subscriber __does not__ have the free-pstn ACL
and they forward to a PSTN number, they could circumvent the ACL and
make PSTN calls by dialing their own number.

sl_send_reply("302", "Redirect") causes a whole new INVITE to be
processed in the normal fashion.

I suppose if there is no way to failover to voicemail then I'll have
to validate forwarded numbers.

Another problem with sending out an INVITE is realized when dealing
with PSTN gateways. A nasty situation creeps up when a SIP phone is
forwared to a PSTN destination. Then when an incoming call from some
other PSTN phone to the SIP phone occurs, SER would try to send an
INVITE back out the PSTN to the forwarded destination and many PSTN
gateways will reply with "482 Loop Detected".

Regards,
Paul