[Serusers] nat, symmetric /asymmetric UA....clarification needed

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 05:29:37 CET 2005

Hi

Just trying to debug why some calls work and other dont, I have 2 setups,
in both the UA is xlite , and is natted in both cases...however the
routers differ in each case.

Now I am running mediaproxy, when I debug ser, in one setups the contact
header which is displayed using xlog, shows the external IP address of
the router, in the other it does not, this happens after I have passed
the fix_contact setting in ser.cfg.

The one where it is fixed , allows me to listen to voicemail prompt from
asterisk without any problems, the other...no sound.

The clarification I need is this..
1. Mediaproxy solves symmetric NAT problems with ease..Y/N ?
2. For asymmetric stuff you need to add the clients to sip/rtp-asymmetric
files Y/N ?
3 If Yes the the client in this case is xlite...which is not really the
asymmetric part, its the router in the middle is it not ?
4. If I place slite in the file, will it not then affect the symmetric
xlite also.

Now if all this fails, can I on the xlite...which seems to be behind the
asymmetric setup, use STUN server, if yes, then the mediaproxy I guess
will not get called, or should it.....or is it better to map the
port/pathsin the router itself.

As a last question, if I wanted to determine what type of NATting a
device did, or I needed to debug a customers setup, whats the easiest way

tks
Iqbal