[Serusers] DNS SRV lookup issue

Gandhi, Chetan chetan.gandhi at intel.com
Tue Feb 22 23:14:39 CET 2005

Hi All,

I am facing problem to get SER to do a SRV lookup. I have the following
scenario...

Step 1:

SIP UA1 registers with SER (testdomain.com) with contact address
user at testdomain.com

SIP UA2 registers with SER (testdomain.com) with contact address
user at testdomain.com

Step 2:

SIP UA3 calls user at testdomain.com

Problem

I would expect SER to do a DNS SRV lookup on testdomain.com and get
sip1.testdomain.com and sip2.testdomain.com. Unfortunately, SER only
does A and AAAA query. (verified via ethereal) and does not do SRV
lookup. How can I make it do SRV lookup ? I am using the default ser.cfg
file.

DNS entries

_sip._udp.testdomain.com.                     3600     IN         SRV
0          1          5060     sip1.testdomain.com.

_sip._udp.testdomain.com.                     3600     IN         SRV
0          1          5060     sip2.testdomain.com.

I am trying to do load balancing but the SRV lookup failure has got me
stuck. Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Chetan