[Serusers] Do ser + asterisk_b2bua work ?

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 18:52:01 CET 2005

could ask this on asterisk :-) but answers inline

On 2/22/2005, "Charles Wang" <lazy.charles at gmail.com> wrote:

>Dear ALL:
>
>I find a program named "asterisk_b2bua" on
>http://developer.berlios.de/projects/b2bua/
>
>And I also download them(two components) and try to test it.
>
>But I have not enough knowledge about asterisk. It seems a Software PBX.
>Does asterisk_b2bua work? Does anybody ever try it?

worked with asterisk, but this seems like a stripped version so I havent
used this, and it seems in pre alpha stage so not sure about it

>I have questions about my scenario.
>
>                   |======================> UA2          (Internet)
>UA1 ===> SER ===> Asterisk B2BUA ===> Trunking A (PSTN)
>                      CDR + Prepaid + Handle Calls(Tear-down when call
>during limited)
>                                   Authentication ( Radius / DB )
>
>Q1. Will Asterisk's B2BUA pass through the "To" (such as
>      0939749xxx at ser.xxx.net.tw PSTN number) to Trunking A?
>      In another word, is the B2BUA not necessary to rewrite the phone number?

yup, you use extensions in asterisk, but use default catchall ._ to take
all your calls and then route them out to ur pstn provider

>Q2. How can B2BUA know when to tear-down this call if the call has some limits.
>      For example, UA1 has only 120 seconds to use this International call.

Because the rtp should go via the b2bua, and it is taking care of the
billing so it knows how long the call has been in progress.

>Q3. Is it necessary for Radius Authentication? Is it possible if no
>radius exists
>      and SER and Asterisk use the same MySQL database.

You can make them all exists, I dropped radius early one, it didnt seem
to add much benefit to what I was doing, mysql seemed to do it all, no
point adding radius although some billing software does like to use
radius records, so it all depends on how ur billing.

Asterisk by default uses its own DB, but this can be changed, but I am
thinking that it might be better to keep them separate, because then ser
DB can be moved off onto a diff machine, and u can use asterisk to
maintain billing and keep that separate...ur accounst dept will want
that guarded :-)

>Q4. What do I need to download and setup when I use Asterisk
>      to start this prepaid compoment? The first one shall be
>asterisk-1.0.5.tar.gz.
>      Maybe some Mysql supported scripts or installaion. And any more??

Just asterisk, not sure what the latest release is, am installing new
version this week, so if I get round to it, I'll give feedback

Iqbal