Radius experience... was Re: [Serusers] "Best practice" document

Mon Feb 21 12:16:44 CET 2005

Greger V. Teigre wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
> Just a quick response to what you describe below:
> We have a different scenario based on three facts:
> - We have complete control and monitoring of all participating RADIUS
> servers
> - Each ser has a RADIUS server on the local LAN where the server center
> is managed as a whole (i.e. individual components should not be
> unavailable)
> - We do not tolerate RADIUS downtime at all. Our 24x7 operations center
> will immediately respond and correct the situation
>
> Thus, we have never experienced the scenario below.  However, if
> something happens, it is actually more likely that we start to NAK all
> requests as a default. This of course causes the clients to re-register,
> but ser does not slow down.
>    As you proxy the requests, you probably have a re-send from the
> RADIUS proxy to the other servers as well, in addition to ser's resend.

We have disabled retransmissions at the radius proxy. In
radiusclient.conf we have:
radius_timeout  3
radius_retries  1

Now, our setup works, but it's not a fien working solution. The problem
is that an oingoing radius request will block a thread completly. Thus,
  having lots of clients (lots of REGISTERs) and having a slow radius
backend is like a DoS attack.

regards,
klaus