[Serusers] NAT, rtpproxy and STUN

Rod Bacon rod.bacon at empoweredcomms.com.au
Mon Feb 21 04:00:11 CET 2005

After having good success with STUN (on a separate server) as a method
for traversing NAT from many devices, I am endeavouring to get rtpproxy
and nathelper configured as a fallback scenario for devices with no/poor
STUN support.

The issue I have is that calls from a UA using STUN to a UA registered
via nathelper don't transmit/receive any audio information, I assume
because the call does not traverse the proxy. Calls the other way are
OK, as I am setting a 'natted' flag and forcing rtp_proxy based on that
event (e.g. a UA handled via Nathelper CAN call a STUN serviced UA, but
not the other way around).

Is there any way to set proxying on/off based on the CALLED UA, not the
CALLING one? Can I test to see if a given UA registered via Nathelper,
and then enable proxying for all calls to that UA?

Am I even making sense?

Rod Bacon - VOIP Systems Engineer
Empowered Communications
Ground Floor, 102 York St. South Melbourne
Victoria, Australia. 3205
Phone: +613 99401600    Fax: +613 99401650
FWD: 512237            IAXtel: 17007401708