[Serusers] "Best practice" document, was Warning: sl_send_reply: I won't send a reply for ACK!!

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Sun Feb 20 11:46:58 CET 2005

Thanks for your initiative, Paul.

I suggested in a previous post that a simple FAQ list could be created on
the iptel.org site pointing to posts on mail.iptel.org that addressed
commonly asked questions.  Seeing the initiative now on TLS, I realize that
maybe the only way to get something going is to do something, submit it in
some way, and then people will start to relate to it.
    Thus, I suggest that you, if you have the capacity to do so, submit a
starting point for a such a best practice document.  I will promise to
review and contribute where I can add value.  If people fancy the document,
it will be in the interest of the core developers to submit their input
("priority by relevance").

    My company has decided to offer to host a "best practice site" (if it is
of interest to the community) where the document, reference ser.cfgs, as
well as links to posts, resources, other people's non-cvs modules etc can be
presented.  I find voip-info.org to be a good resource, but picture a more
structured and edited approach to complement and provide easy access to
resources.
    Ser is an excellent open source software, but IMHO the project has not
yet matured enough to be taken seriously for large service providers
(without somebody like us presenting .  Those of us who make a living that
includes ser should really collaborate to make ser as best as possible and
(an even more) viable alternative to commercial software.  We can and should
compete on other things than who can make the ser.cfg work...

    The core developers are doing an excellent job, and I believe the best
way we can help them out is to start initiatives and see if they catch on.
I think it's in everybody's interest to build a large and stable community
around ser.
    I see several initiatives now that point in the right direction, as well
as areas where work is needed:
- "Best practice" initiative from Paul
- My initiative suggesting a new website in this post
- Andreas' work on scalability (discussed recently on this list)
- The TLS initiative
- Need for a viable, scalable voicemail implementation
- Need for a scalability/redundancy reference design including load
balancing/multiple server centers
- Need for database support beyond open-source DBs (ODBC/JDBC/LDAP)
- Need for access to a repository of modules (beyond those in CVS). Can be
addressed on my suggested website
- Need for more application level integration/capabilities (SIP Servlets,
JAIN, etc)
- and probably many more

Well, let's start small. There is a  lot of activity and implementations
that are being done, partially exposed here on serusers/serdev. By exposing
and coordinating these efforts publicly, people can concentrate on new and
even more exciting things than just figuring out how to handle NAT...
g-)