[Serusers] Questions on using ser.cfg version 0.9.0 for call forward/busy/noanswer

Java Rockx javarockx at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 06:29:50 CET 2005

Charles,

One problem I see is that the value for the forwarded number is not a
valid SIP URI.

The values stored in the usr_preferences table must look like this:

sip:4075551212 at mycompany.com

As for you question about the "-", "dom", and "int" avp lines, these
are not database related. Instead this is a bit of a hack. I use these
three values as AVPs which get referenced in other route blocks. The
reason I call this a hack is that it would be better to move this kind
of validation to a custom C module.

Anyhow, the whole point of that route block is to validate the
destination number that the user is trying to have forwarded to. For
example, the user should not be allowed to forward to 911 or an
international number (unless they are entitled to international
dialing).

One more note: That ser.cfg that you're referencing is very unwieldy.
I've since restructured the entire thing for simplicity reasons. This
ser.cfg follows the very simple concepts shown in the default ser.cfg
example.

I feel it is much better to follow a per-method-type approach. For
example in the main route block I now have:

if (method=="BYE") {
    route(1); # BYE message handler
} else if (method=="ACK") {
    route(2); # ACK message handler
} else ....

I'm hoping to post my entire reworked ser.cfg to the mailing list this
week and seek comments and feedback on establishing "best coding
practices" for ser because as far as I know this hasn't been
addressed. My hopes are that the next ser.cfg I post, would at a
minimum, get the ball rolling on defining how best to code ser.cfg
logic.

Regards,
Paul