[Serusers] multicast loopback

Samuel Osorio Calvo samuel.osorio at nl.thalesgroup.com
Tue Feb 15 18:45:13 CET 2005

Hi gurus!

I have been playing with multicast in SER fow a while and it worked
almost perfectly: SER is listening and sending wihout much difference as
if it was a unicast address. Again thanks to SER developers!!

There is a small detail which I hope you can help me to solve:
multicast loopback. The problem is that SER receives all messages it
sends to the multicast address and processes it as if it was received
from the multicast address.

Variables affecting the mcast loopback:
SER config file mcast_loopback is set to no, and it is used in the
opening of the mcast socket. So I guess the socket is effectively opened
with the loopback disabled.
The kernel MCAST_LOOPBACK is enabled, but I think that it does not
affect the sockets opened with an explicit 0 in the MCAST_LOOPBACK
setsockopt field.
So I think it is not a matter of the multicast loopback parameters but
a matter of the network topology. Please correct me if I am wrong!!!!

Our host has a couple of listen= addresses, one for the unicast and
another for the multicast.
Guessings:
Is it possible that SER uses the unicast interface to send the
multicast message and therefore the multicast loopback check is not
checked in the unicast sending socket????
But the same message, going deep into the TCP/UDP linux stack faces
that there is an internal interface with the mcast address and it is
therefore passed back?????

I hope that I have been clear and that somebody can clarify me why is
this happening (a solution is even better :) )

Thanks in advance,
Samuel.

Unclassified.