[Serusers] Symmetric NATs and RTP Proxy - Question

Marian Dumitru marian.dumitru at voice-sistem.ro
Fri Feb 11 00:54:50 CET 2005

I have to admit I'm not so much involved in the theoretical discussions.
But from practical point of view, I see no difference on doing the NAT
traversal on the main server or remotely (via SBC) - you still have to
do some media relaying, so QoS and delay will be affected in the same way.

For a worldwide spread VoIP provider, having a centralized NAT traversal
will not scale, risking a bandwidth exhaustion because of media
relaying. We came up with a solution based on a distributed set of NAT
traversal server, configuration which will eliminate bandwidth
bottle-necks and the existence of the single point of failure. Even
better, you will get a better QoS since the media doesn't have to cross
half of globe just for the sake of NAT traversal.
We can also see this approach in Skype design and this is one of the
think that contributes to its success.

Now, Jiri, don't get me wrong, but I didn't suggest to use SBCs in order
to achieve High-Availability. It was just sharing with Darren some of
our experience in deploying High-Availability support for SER platforms
vis-a-vis of any type of NAT traversal - local or remote.

Best regards
Marian

--
Voice Sistem