[Serusers] Symmetric NATs and RTP Proxy - Question

Marian Dumitru marian.dumitru at voice-sistem.ro
Thu Feb 10 23:41:42 CET 2005

Hi Darren,

Disregarding any implementation aspects, the only complication a SBC can
introduce is an additional hop in the signaling path.
On the other hand, the SBC comes into focus when is about:
	-decoupling the NAT traversal from the routing logic - in case of a
very complex service and routing logic or when is about considerations
like yours;
	- distributed NAT traversal - keeping the media as local as possible in
platforms with a wide-geographical coverage.

Best regards,
Marian

Darren Sessions wrote:
> I sent the email to the mailing list and realized the answer about 15
> minutes afterwards. Your email Jan, confirms it.
>
> I had discussed session border controllers with Jiri many months ago and was
> told a session border controller was not a good approach as they severely
> complicate signaling matters.
>
> Other than using a session border controller, are there any viable solutions
> to this problem without resorting to a IP failover cluster or something of
> that nature?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Darren
>

> On 2/8/05 5:49 PM, "Jan Janak" <jan at iptel.org> wrote:
>

>>No, because RTP proxy would relay media only. SIP signalling would still
>>go through one of the proxy servers and SIP messages would only make it
>>to the user agent behind symmetric NAT if they were sent by the proxy
>>server originally contacted by the user agent (with the same IP address).
>>
>>  Jan.
>>
>>On 08-02 13:19, Darren Sessions wrote:
>>
>>>We currently do not use an RTP proxy in our service (so the audio does not
>>>ride our internet bandwidth).
>>>
>>>Our biggest issue at the moment is the redundancy between two SER servers in
>>>dealing with symmetric NATs (specifically dealing with the individual SER
>>>server unique IP addresses and the far end customer's symmetric NAT).
>>>
>>>If we were to use an RTP proxy, as a backup mechanism for dealing with NATs,
>>>would this alleviate the issue of multiple SER servers and symmetric NATs?

Voice System
http://www.voice-system.ro