[Serusers] ser features

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Mon Feb 7 12:37:29 CET 2005

On 07-02 00:09, peter.3.edwards at bt.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Being one of those who tend towards open source, I'm trying to put forward ser for use within my current project as, from my reading, it seems to have most of the features I think we're going to need.  Problem is, before I've had a chance to get it in and play with it, there's a paper sift going on which may see it being shelved before I get a chance to even propose it.  :(
>
> I realise it's entirely unforgivable, netiquette-wise, but I was hoping if I posted the list of criteria I was looking at whether someone could help confirm or deny what I've cobbled together wrt ser.  Any links to more information on the web would be ideal.
>
> Any help at all would be gratefully received!
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Peter.
>
> 1) Support for SIP - (preferably 3GPP ISC interface)
>     - Obviously SIP is supported but I can't see any explicit mention in the docs wrt to 3GPP ISC .. ?  Has ser been developed with this in mind?

   SIP yes, 3GPP ISC no.

> 2) Provide flexible application run time support in terms of standard / well-defined API sets such as SIP servlets
>     - As ser is written in C, it's obviously not exposing SIP servlets internally, but I can't seem to find a specific API specificiation.  I think it sounds like applications are created as C modules which plug into ser.  Is that right (I'm not a C developer, so any clarification appreciated)?  Is it a ser-properietary interface or something that follows a particular standard?

  There is nothing comparable to SIP Servlets, SER is not a servlet
  container, but a SIP message mangler with the possibility to keep
  transaction state.

  SER modules are written in C and can access SER internals directly.
  Each module can export function that the administrator can then call
  in the configuration file.

  There is no particular standard for this, it is very similar to the Apache
  module API.

> 3) support carrier grade non functional requirements e.g. %age availability, multi-site installation, latency, throughputs etc.
>    - I can't see any specific claims for reliability, or any info on how to deal with redundancy etc.  Has this been looked at before?

  Yes, high availability extensions are available under comercial
  license from iptel.org.

> 4) Any interfaces that can be exposed to application logic hosted on a remote platform in an untrusted environment - e.g. a Java RMI, Web Services etc.

   No.

>    - Does ser expose anything else, other than SIP?  How would a third party application running on, let's say for argument's sake, a J2EE application running on a separate JBoss server?  Would a C module need to be written and plugged into ser to expose, say web services?  Has anything like that been done already?

  No, that is not possible. SER is not an application server, it is a
  sip proxy.

> 5) Application Developer support / tools
>    - Is there anything like a forum or tools to aid a module developer?

  The C sources and SER developers guide describing the API.

  http://iptel.org/ser/devel.html

> 6) OSS integration
>    - Is there any?

  No.