[Serusers] mediaproxy/rtpproxy efficiency comparison

Darek Baca darek_baca at poczta.fm
Tue Feb 1 13:03:54 CET 2005

As you know there are (at least) two options to resolve the symmetric NAT
traversal with SIP/RTP:
1. nathelper module and rtpproxy server
2. mediaproxy module and dispatcher/mediaproxy server

However during our test we discovered that in terms of efficiency there
is a big difference between these two approaches.
Using mediaproxy and rtp generator tool (comes with mediaproxy server)
on 1G RAM 3000 MHZ cpu machine, server was able to handle about 200
calls at the same time (rtpgenerator rate parameter set to 100).
To be able to compare mediaproxy result to rtpproxy I made
some modifications inside the rtpproxy server code and used
the same rtpgenerator (there is different communication interface
that I modified) and the result of the same test was quit different.
Using the same environment I was able to generate 900 calls, I also
made additional normal call (SER/mediaproxy/proxydispatcher/rtpproxy)
thru this rtprpoxy to test quality of voice.

So, my question is why there is not compatibility between these servers?
There would be useful to implement these small changes into the rtp proxy
code (I can send my version) and take all advantages of mediaproxy
load balancing and rtpproxy efficiency.

Darek