[Serusers] Re: announcement: student project finished: partiSIPation

Matthias Liebig matthias at lists.iptel.org
Fri Dec 9 19:56:03 CET 2005

Hi Juha!

> i looked at partiSIPpation documentation and didn't quite understand why
> microphone and speaker volumes are part of the api.  i would think that
> those are internal matters of the gui component.  when gui places a
> call, i would imagine it gives to core an ip address and port that it
> wants to use for the media plus a list of codecs it supports.  i don't
> understand what volume issue have to do with communication between gui
> and core.

The Core will be responsible for providing the audio, i.e. audio
transport, accessing the sound devices (speaker, microphone), codecs and
so on. So if the user wants to change the volume, the Core has to be
notified and has to perform the change.

If another application is changing the volumes, or if the user does this
manually, the Core has to notify the GUI that the volumes have been
adjusted.

I hope the issue is somewhat clearer now.

-Matthias