[Serusers] nathelper/rtpproxy when both SIP UA are behind same NAT

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Sun Dec 4 23:43:19 CET 2005

Interesting! In my particular case, it's a Netgear ADSL router running a
version of uCLinux or something similar. The Netgear firmware is
apparently available for download (minus some proprietry WWW frontend
and related stuff) in order to comply to the GPLv2, but I haven't taken
the time to do this in order to check which Netfilter modules are being
used by the particluar 2.4.x kernel. In any case, I'm not particularly
good at C, so it wouldn't do me any good anyway. However, in my
experience the "statefulness" of a Linux Netfilter-based gateway should
be sufficient to be able to handle a situation like this transparently,
unless there is still something fundamental that I'm missing.

Be that as it may, the simple question still remains: is it possible to
handle more than one UA behind a single NAT gateway with a single SER
setup on the outside of the NAT gateway (RFC 1918 address space inside,
normal routable IP outside)? Alternatively, would it be best to have an
inside SER that simply forwards all SIP traffic to the outside SER?

Regards,
Jan Henkins