[Serusers] PSTN gateway cluster - how to implement a backup procedure (maybe FAQ)

Pietro Ravasio pietro.ravasio at abbeynet.it
Fri Aug 19 11:31:54 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm sorry this is maybe a FAQ, but I can't configure SER in order to
statefully forward all method for "PSTN uris" to a backup gateway only when
the primary is not reachable or down; I have two gateways:
- primary gateway (installed into a remote site, connected to 2 PRIs, IP
connected via VPN)
- backup gateway (installed locally, connected to a few BRIs)

Is there a way to handle "gateway failover" directly into ser? If not
possible, I could use DNS round robin, but I'd prefer to handle failover
into SER.

I've tried with t_on_failure but I can't insert any t_relay logic into
onreply_route blocks:

} else if ((uri=~"sip:0.*")||(uri=~"sip:3.*")) {
                                route(2);
}

route[2]
{
        t_on_failure("2");
        prefix("99");
        rewritehost("MY.PRIMARY.GW.IP");
        t_relay_to_udp("MY.PRIMARY.GW.IP","5060");
}

onreply_route[2] {
        xlog("L_ERR", "Can't connect to primary gateway, redirecting to
backup one, uri was %ru");
        revert_uri();
        xlog("L_ERR", "Uri reverted back to %ru, forwarding to Cisco gw");
        t_relay_to_udp("MY.BACKUP.GW.IP","5060");  # <----------- CAN'T DO
THIS HERE!!!
}

Any ideas?