[Serusers] Open source Legal Issue

Mr Greg Plater gplater at da-bratz.com
Sat Aug 6 02:25:00 CEST 2005

I say because alterations and configuring was done from many peoples works
on lists and forums, the work is already published and is covered by the GPL
and if any is not published it must be publish under the GPL.

I don't see how they can deny me or any person working under the GPL the
right to use alter or distribute the applications again from the original
source code. As a contractor I believe if any source code is developed its
owned by the contractor and he is obligated under the license he developed
it the GPL for example.

If the person is an Employee then the code developed would be owned by the
company Employing the staff member and the company would be obligated under
the license that applies example GPL.

I believe the outcome of this injunction places developers in the position
that once they develop something under the GPL then the company it was
developed for then has the right to say they can never use it again.

I don't believe the GPL was intended to allow this.